Klein Tools is issuing a voluntary product recall on the NCVT1 in our Test and Measurement Line due to a potential safety hazard.
Why Is There A Recall?
It has recently come to our attention that one of our products, the NCVT-1 NONCONTACT VOLTAGE TESTER, has a potential safety issue that Klein Tools would like to rectify. The on/off button of the NCVT-1 is intended to be pressed down and then released. If the button remains depressed during the power on or power off cycle, the tip of the tool remains illuminated in green, indicating the tool is "ready to detect voltage," when it is not.
These affected products are sold in the following SKU numbers:
This recall involves Klein Tools Non-Contact Voltage Tester with model numbers NCVT1 bearing date codes ending H7. The product was also sold in variations and kits listed above, all bearing date codes ending in H7.
Frequently Asked Questions
When will I receive my replacement tester?
The NCVT-1P is now available and has started to ship. This is the model that replaces the NCVT-1. You can also check the status of your recall return by using the link below.
How can I tell if the product I have purchased are subject to this recall?
This recall only involves Klein Tools Non-Contact Voltage Tester with model numbers NCVT1 bearing date codes ending H7. All other active voltage tester models or NCVT1 with a date code other than H7 are not subject to recall.
I bought the NCVT1 as part of a kit. What do I do with the other pieces?
Other items in kits where NCVT1 was included, are not being recalled. These items should not be sent back for replacement and you can continue to use them.
Can I get a refund?
We will provide a replacement product as per recall regulations.
I really need this tester to do my job. Is there any way I can get my new NCVT1 sooner?
In order to comply with recall regulations we must receive the recalled unit back to ensure that it is no longer in use, before we can send out a new meter. Once we receive your returned unit, you will be sent the replacement unit when it is available.
- Please stop using your NCVT-1 NONCONTACT VOLTAGE TESTER, even if you have not experienced any issues.
- Please contact Klein Tools to return your unit at no charge for replacement.
- Web: If you are a consumer, complete the online Recall Submission Form for immediate processing of your recall request. Once the form is completed, an email will be sent with instructions and a link to print a shipping label. If you are a distributor, visit the Distributor Extranet to complete the Distributor Recall Submission Form.
- Phone: Call customer service toll-free 800-527-3099 between 7:00 A.M. and 6:00 P.M. CT Monday through Friday.
- Email: Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org. Be sure to include contact information, postal and email addresses. We will reply to your email within one business day.
For Canadian returns, use this form.
For any returns other than US or Canada, contact email@example.com.
In cooperation with the US Consumer Product Safety Commission
Klein has an outstanding safety record and we take this matter very seriously. No injuries have been reported from the use of these testers, but Klein Tools is recalling them out of an abundance of caution. Our number one concern is the safety of our loyal Klein Tools customers. We apologize for any inconvenience and promise to redouble our efforts to continue providing you with quality tools.